Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Geocaching and The Bible

Since we last talked....our family has taken up the hobby of Geocaching.  Basically, Geocaching is where you use GPS coordinates to find "treasures", or caches, that have been hidden literally all over the world!  In Greenville alone, we guess there are over 1000.  We could even find a cache in Ethiopia if we ever get there again.  We have an official Geocaching fanny pack, being modeled here by Harry.



It really is a fun family activity.  Joe uses his phone to use GPS, read a clue and give a hint (if necessary) to help us find a cache.  This year, we think we have found around 16 so far.  We have done everything from finding one hidden at the top of a city parking garage to wading through a roaring river to grab a cache on an island.  Fun!  Here the kids are finding one in a loose stone in downtown Greenville.



Saturday, it was a beautiful day, so we decided to hit several caches located in downtown Greenville.  The day was warm and it started out very fun.  I think we may have pushed the kids too far.  We had another family join us down town, so then we felt like we had to do a few more to show them how it is done.  Looking back, that was a big mistake.  We found our last one here, at a rose garden.



Crabby kids, tired feet and legs, hot people led to a lot of grumbling, complaining and then all out fighting. 

By the time we got home, I sent them all to go do something quietly by themselves.  I stood in the kitchen getting dinner ready and thought to myself, "What am I doing wrong?  Why do these kids start fighting with each other over nothing?" 

I look around at other big families and imagine they are holding hands, singing songs and speaking with love and kindness to each other constantly.  I look at my family and hear Anna scream, "Geeeooooorrrrrrggggeeeee!", when George giggles at her tripping, watch Lincoln fall apart because we have to walk to the car, see Eleanor totally push her brother causing him to go flying through the air because he won't stop talking....and then of course you get the parents yelling at the kids to stop screaming, stop whining, stop pushing, stop fighting! 

I also think...our neighbors must think we are the worst family.

Then...fast forward one day.  Easter Sunday.  Our family has been watching The Bible.  No commentary here about the accuracy of the script.  My children have loved watching this and have been looking forward to it each Sunday night.  We knew this night would be difficult for our children to watch...this was the night where Christ would be crucified.  I sat on one of the couches with Lincoln and Anna, wanting to be there to hold them.  Right as expected, as soon as Jesus began being scourged, the both broke down in sobs.  Lincoln covered his face and sobbed, Anna drove her head into my body.  But, they both wanted to continue watching.  Lincoln said, 'I need to see this."  At one point, Lincoln had stopped crying and noticed Anna's sorrow.  In pure gentleness he reached out his hand and grabbed his sister's and said, "It's going to be alright, Anna."  And he held her hand for the rest of the scene.

Meanwhile, on the other couch, George began to cry.  I don't think he has ever really thought about the reality of what it meant when we say, "Christ died for your sins."  That night, he started to see what Jesus went through.  He wasn't just crying.  He was wailing.  I had my hands full with the twins, so I witnessed something that was truly amazing;  Isabel, who had been sitting near my feet, got up and walked over to the couch.  She then sat as close as she could get to her brother and wrapped her arms around him, holding him for the rest of the scene.

I was amazed. 

Here were two of my children truly ministering to their brother and sister.  Very few words were spoken but compassion poured out of their little hearts and spilled over into their siblings in a way that was pure and beautiful and powerful. 

I will forever treasure these things in my heart.

No comments: