Friday, April 20, 2012

Ministry Update

What a week!

I have been discouraged...tired...overwhelmed lately.  I am tired of getting SFFC going!  I worked for two long years in Wisconsin getting it going.  Move to SC and have to get it going again.  I was frustrated with having to constantly explain the ministry over and over and over again.  I get so tired of nodding heads and smiled...but NO host families.  And I was letting the sin of discouragement overtake me. 

I had been crying out to God in prayer that maybe SFFC wasn't His will for me and maybe He was allowing SFFC to not "take off" because that is not the plan. 

"You hear, O Lord, the desire of the afflicted;  you encourage them, and you listen to their cry, defending the fatherless and the oppressed, in order that man, who is of the earth, may terrify no more."  Psalm 10:17-18

And then, I have to literally slap myself upside the head! 

Traci!  This isn't about YOU!

While I am moaning and groaning about not seeing "success" with the ministry work here in SC, God is listening to the cries of the afflicted, the fatherless and the oppressed.  And He is looking for ways to pour love and care into their lives so they may not be scared anymore!  It's not about what I feel, or what I want, or how I am doing.

It's about LOVING OTHERS.

This week, I heard from a Grandma.  Her daughter had just attempted suicide.  Grandma was devastated.....scared.  Mom has two little boys and Grandma already has custody of their older sister.  She can't care for the boys, too.  She asked me if I would be willing to help.

HELP.  Give her HOPE.  Give HER encouragement.

I prayed with her.  I told her I could help.  And I simply listened as she shared details of her daughter's life. 

I haven't heard back.  That often happens with this ministry work.  We have people reach out for help and then not hear anything for months.  Many times...after months go by...I get that call saying they are ready for a hosting arrangement for their kids. I will wait.

But, I realized, yet again, how my flesh and my SELF often gets in the way of God's ministry work.  I make too many thing about ME...when it clearly needs to be about God and others.  Oh, Lord...I want to slay this selfish tendency in me!   When I was reminded that my role is to be the hands and feet of Christ, to offer ENCOURAGEMENT and LOVE to those who are scared and hurting, my heart was greatly encouraged!  It is only in God's economy where a woman can pour out encouragement and love to a stranger and in the process be FILLED to capacity!  How amazing is that!

I also had two church presentations this week; a time for me to talk to families out there who might become host families.  The two presentations where so spirit-filled, they took my breath away!  As I shared the message of this ministry, I saw tears flow down the faces of the men and women sitting there.  I knew God was working.  He was tugging at their heart.  He obviously had been working on them before they sat down to hear about SFFC.  I LOVE how God works that way.

So...the restlessness doesn't seem to be ministry related.  But Joe and I do have our eye on something... :)

1 comment:

ESolgos said...

or something or someone? We want to know ;)