Sunday, March 11, 2012

A Young Man...

Time to get back to my verses for the kids!

Harry's turn.

I used to say Harry was my complicated one. He has changed so much in the past year - I hardly recognize the boy who was complicated. He is turning into quite the young MAN. Maybe part of it is that Joe is out of town so much...Harry has had to step up his "manliness" a bit. Maybe it is because we moved away from Watertown, where he was being bullied and harassed horribly. Maybe it is because he has questioned his and our faith so deeply.

Harry questioned Christianity more than any other 10 year old I have ever met. He would brood over the Bible for hours, not sure if he could believe the wild stories he was reading. He would look around at those who called themselves Christians and would laugh as their lives looked nothing like the teaching of Jesus. Harry would ask the hard questions...the really hard questions and then wait for us to really answer them! He wanted to know why there was pain the world and where was God in the tragedies he saw around him. He wanted to know if heaven was for real and if he could trust these ancient words in a book. And most of all, he just needed to see if God was really who He said He was.

Harry wrestled with God. I know it. I saw it.

And now, Harry is on fire for the Lord. He wears his Jesus wii-mii shirt all the time! (It says hii saved me). He raises his hands in worship. He leads our family in prayer. And he is only 12!

I know things can change. I am not naive enough to know that he might have many more crisis of faith where he questions everything about God. I recently read a blog of a friend of mine that he son is writing. Here was a preacher's kid, loved the Lord, called to ministry who has now completely rejected Christianity. I do not think Harry is immune to this possibility.

All I know is that I will continue to cover this amazing young man in prayer and with God's word...

"A young man without any physical defect, handsome, showing aptitude for every kind of learning, well informed, quick to understand and qualified to serve in the king's palace." Daniel 1:4

I sought the Lord when it came to picking a verse for Harry, and He clearly led me to Daniel. I had never thought of a connection between Harry and Daniel...even when I have read the book of Daniel lately, I didn't think "Oh...this is just like Harry!" But, when God led me to chapter 1, verse 4, I thought "Yes!"

Then, I wasn't so sure how Harry would react to this verse. It's pretty hefty! But, as Joe and I presented this verse to him, Joe said, "We believe that you are being made fit to serve in God's kingdom, Harry." And Harry was deeply moved.

As he quietly decorated his verse, he drew a palace with gates and Harry standing at the gate, shield in one hand, sword in the other. Hovering above the palace are streams of gold and tongues of fire. It is quite the image!

Finally, Harry highlighted the words "A young man", coloring flames around them.

Harry does not know this, but many years ago, Joe was given a vision of Harry. He saw Harry standing in a black room. Harry opened his mouth and a small flame came out of it. Within a matter of seconds, what started as a small flame turned into a room filled with fire - all coming from Harry's mouth.

We have never told him this vision...but we believe it was a sign of things to come with our son, who is being made fit to serve in God's kingdom.

No comments: