Friday, November 4, 2011

Breaking Through

It rained all night last night. And now, as I sit in my living room next to a cozy fire, I can look out my window and see the sun finally breaking through the dark rain clouds.
The view is so clear I can see the tops of the Blue Ridge Mountains towering over the trees ablaze of color in my neighborhood. It is quite a stunning view.
And in this quite, peaceful moment I am filled with awe of how amazing our God is.
Harry said to me yesterday after school, "Mom...I am finally seeing how beautiful fall is meant to be." It has been stunning here - a fall like I have never experienced in any place I have lived.
When I catch these glimpses of untouched beauty, I can't wait to see what heaven will be like. Harry and I often talk about heaven. He is afraid he will be bored. I remind him that there is no way he will be bored. I believe there will be mountain trails to hike and white water rapids to raft and waves to body surf. I believe there will be amazing banquets where loved ones gather for laughter and joy and fellowship. I believe there will be music - even electric guitars and drums that cause your body to move where people will sing and dance and praise God with nothing holding them back.

My brain can't understand ETERNITY. I guess that is where Harry thinks it will get boring.

I just tell him he better make sure he will be there.

It's not about going to church once a week. It's not about being a good person. It's not about saying the same prayer every night for dinner for the past 45 years. It's not about communion or baptism or hymns or clothing or denominations or rituals or habits.

It's about Jesus! Do you love him? Do you want to be in His presence ALWAYS? Do you want to DO what Jesus commanded? Do you even know what Jesus commanded? Do you KNOW Him?

I know him...and I long to know him more and more each day. I want to know his teachings and his words more and more as I grow up. I want to do the hard things that he commanded us to do. I don't want to just check the boxes and act like that is enough.

Jesus did not call us to a life of security and mediocrity. I am constantly measuring my life against that - I don't want to be mediocre. To ME...THAT is a boring life!

No comments: