Saturday, August 6, 2011

Do You Know?



I apologize for not keeping up with the blog writing lately....I have been so busy. We leave next week and I have an entire house to pack on top of caring for 6 children and a huge dog.

But, even in the midst of thinking so much about my self, my children, my things, my new house, my drive to South Carolina....God has successfully interrupted my thoughts of my self to remind me of the horrible drought taking place in areas of eastern Africa.

Ethiopia, Kenya and Somalia are being affected. Predictions are deaths in the millions.

While we argue over spending trillions of dollars and debt ceilings, children are dying in Africa because they can't get enough food to eat.

While we purchase back to school supplies and new outfits for picture day, mothers are holding their starving children and praying that God would rescue them.

While we sit in air conditioned homes watching hours of television, families are seeking a small bit of shade while swatting the flies that are hovering.

Do you even know this is going on? Do you care?

I am asking myself this.

We were telling George about the famine, knowing that if he were still in Ethiopia, he would be affected. He lived in the far southern region of Ethiopia and surely, he would had suffered. He did not have a father to protect him or fight for his survival. He had a mom who was sick and dying of AIDS. How could she possibly find food and water for him?

The people that are dying are women and children.

George was starving even without drought conditions. I can't imagine the suffering he would be enduring if he was still there.

If you can do something...or if God is pulling at your heart to do something...go to World Vision and see how you can help.


The famine in Africa is REAL to me. I have seen the conditions...I can't imagine them being worse...but they are.



Pray. Give. Care. Tell your children.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Thank you. We must continue to speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves.