Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Life is So Fragile

Joe and I are in Greenville, SC. A few days ago, we accepted a job that will move us from the upper midwest to the south. But that is not what I want to write about tonight.

Today, our dear children had a wonderful day at the lake with an amazing family who has been watching the six while we are away. And today, this amazing family suffered a horrible tragedy. Today, their teenage nephew drowned in the lake.

I am sitting here hundreds of miles away stunned...a bit confused....and deeply saddened by this tragedy. Joe talked to George on the phone, and our son who knows about death all too well had the deepest understanding. Harry is shaken to the core. Eleanor is now in charge on her siblings until we can get home.

All we can do as we sit in our hotel room is to pray. And we all need to know how fragile life is. God designed our lives to be that way...it could all be gone tomorrow for any one of us. We can not put off for tomorrow what we should do today! That means we forgive today. We stop our habitual sinning today. We love without boundaries today. We live meaningful lives...today.

This is the day the Lord has made...I WILL rejoice and be glad it in. I woke up this morning singing this from my childhood. It ran through my mind over and over again as I was reminding myself that rejoicing in the Lord is as act of my will. Even when I don't feel like it, I chose to. Right now, I struggle with rejoicing. Tragedy has struck a wonderful family...

Nehemiah 8: 10 says, "Nehemiah said, “Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks, and send some to those who have nothing prepared. This day is holy to our Lord. Do not grieve, for the joy of the LORD is your strength.” We heard a sermon on this passage a few days ago, and one of the precious daughters of this family sat right next to me. Do not grieve, dear family, for the joy of the Lord is your STRONGHOLD.

Stronghold...a mighty fortress, a strong tower that you can run to! A rock that nothing can move.

Please pray for the Zimmermann family. Lift them up. Cover them with your prayers.

3 comments:

Alice H said...

So sad for this family, the Zimmermans. Praying for you all. And now, please God, bless the Weldies as they make this move. When I think of my favorite families back in my library days, the beautiful smiles on their faces instantly come to mind. So sorry I never had the chance to meet the two newest.
God be with you as you move forward. Looking forward to hear about His continued work in your family.
Alice H.

ESolgos said...

So sorry, Traci. So sad for your family.

Charlie's Mama and Papa said...

I am so sorry for your terrible loss. Praying for you all...
On a side note, you already have a friend in Greenville- ME! Let's chat sometime soon....
Praying for healing and peace for this family, I am so sorry.
-Sarah
sdeetz1023@gmail.com