Thursday, June 30, 2011

A Lesson From the Birds


As we enter yet another week of being jobless, I continue to have an unexplainable peace that only God can provide. But, in all honesty, as the days and weeks go by, the gnawing sense of "What are we going to do?" creeps in slowly.

Joe flew to the east coast for an interview this week - and the opportunity is not exactly anything we had ever thought of! Maybe we would have thought of this particular location when it was just Joe and I - and maybe a few of our kids. But, I simply struggle thinking of raising 6 children there.

Other opportunities are not moving our our speed - or more like MY speed. I make decisions quickly and go for it. Nothing is moving quite that way. There are a lot of phone conversations, emails back and forth, but nothing yet that has said, "We want you here and here is the offer."

Bear with me as I make a detour...I was talking with my mom this morning and we were comparing our baby robin experiences. My mom told me that soon after the babies leave the nest, she watches her baby robins follow their momma around, chirping loudly and waiting for momma to feed them. The babies hop behind momma learning how to get a worm for themselves and before long, they babies are off on their own.

I didn't see that with my baby robins. Suddenly, ours were just out of the safety of their nest. I sent the kids outside to look for them, hoping they hadn't fallen out of the nest. When there was no sign of them, we assumed they were off on their own. I missed this part that my mom told me about - never seeing them hop around the yard following their momma. So, this morning, I worried again about these fragile, innocent little birds.

But, as I sat down at my computer to write, I looked out my window and saw one of my babies! I know, you are probably thinking all robins look alike, so how could I possibly know one of the babies! Well, one of the baby robins had this distinct white streak right on the top of his head. And I as I recognized my baby, I saw him hopping around on the ground looking for a worm. His chest is not quite orange yet - and he was following another robin around the yard. I couldn't believe it! I was seeing exactly what I thought I had missed.

God has been using the birds to teach Joe and I through this time. God keeps reminding Joe, "I take care of the birds, I am going to take care of you." Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Matthew 6:26. For Joe, he is reminded of this verse each and every morning as the birds begin their singing around 4:30am. What used to be an annoying wake up call has become a love song from our Father reminding us that God is still watching over us. When we hear the robins sing, an instant peace settles over both Joe and I as we know that our Father in heaven loves us. And then we smile at each other. No words need to be spoken.

As I watched my baby robin hopping around the yard, doing just fine, it was a reminder of how God provides for each and every bird. He is watching over our family, finding us more valuable than the birds, and so He will take care of us.

Our daily battle is to put our trust and our hope in God, knowing He will provide.

No comments: