Saturday, May 7, 2011

In Honor of Judy


Mother's Day is tomorrow. I am horrible at sending cards or buying gifts. I admit it freely. But, even though I may forget the cards or neglect to send a gift, I absolutely love my mother and I want you all to know it!

I was just talking with my neighbor about Mother's Day and I said "I just can't believe I am a mom to six kids!" And she followed up my statement with a question, "Are you like your mother?"

I am not sure why she asked that, probably just wanted to know more about my past and if that would inspire me to be a mom to a large number of kiddos. I wasn't sure how to answer that question.

Yes...I look just like my mom. And every now and then I hear my self say, "Eee-gads" or "Heavens to Betsy" (whatever that means!). I see myself in the side mirror as Joe is driving the car and I see the same face I used to watch as I was a little girl sitting in the back seat intently watching my mother.

But no...my mom is so much more patient than I am. And she listens so much better than I do. And she quietly trust the Lord with everything in her life - she doesn't shout it from the rooftops or stand up in Sunday School class to tell everyone about her life - but trust me, it shows. I believe she is a better mom than I am - I was never yelled at, I was always forgiven, I always knew I was loved. My mom signed me up for things I wanted to do...and then sat in the cold on hard benches watching me play softball in April in Ohio! My mom would drive me to church every Sunday night (a long drive!) so I could be in a youth group and a bell choir. She never complained....ever...never. My mom let me be me...she didn't try to change who I was, but instead she gave me such confidence in whatever I tried to do knowing she would be there to catch my fall.

I want to be my mom when I grow up. I have always wanted to be my mom when I grow up!

Now...I say I want to be a mother-in-law like my mom....and I want to be a grandmother like my mom.

I once lamented to a friend that I didn't have a mentor in my life - a Christian woman who was walking this road with me, but who was ahead of the game to offer advice. She laughed and said, "You have that in your mother! So many women today don't have that in their moms!"

She was right...I do have an amazing mother. She offers advice - but only when I ask for it. She supports all our crazy ideas - even when others don't. She loves unconditionally - even when I don't deserve it.

I love you, Mom!

1 comment:

Bear Creek Mama said...

You are amazingly blessed!