Friday, February 18, 2011

We'll Get There

This is just a quick thank you to all who are praying for us. Each day this week, we have witnessed a huge blow-up from George. Each time, he shouts out "I hate you! You are the worst mom!" And I have to literally count to 10 and then kneel down to George's level and tell him that no matter what he says to me, I am still going to love him.

He is going way overboard over things that usually wouldn't set him off. For example, he and Harry were fighting and I asked each of them to go to their rooms so they could settle down and then I would talk to them. George went crazy! He tore the sheets off his bed, threw Legos across the room, screamed....and said, "I hate you, Mom!" I went into his room and calmly (thank you Lord!!!) asked him why he was so angry.

"YOU make me so angry!"

"Well, what exactly did I do to make you so angry?"

"You send me to my room."

"And...what is so awful about that?"

"Um...um....I don't know!" (Said with a really angry voice).

"All I asked you to do was to go to your room so you could settle down a bit. I also sent Harry to his room. Did you hear me tell Harry to go his room, too?"

"Yes!"

"Did I say you were in trouble? Did I say there was going to be a punishment?"

"NO!" (Again, still using a very angry voice.)

"Then what is so mean about asking you to get some space away from Harry, settle down for a bit in your room and then have a small talk with mom?"

"I don't know!" (Ugh..the whiny voice!)

"Was it mean of Mom to ask you to go to your room to settle down?"

"I don't know!"

"Yes you do...was it mean?"

"No." He mumbled this.

"Was it mean to say to me that you hate me?"

Silence.

"You know, George, no matter how many times you tell me you hate me, I am still going to love you. I am never going to leave you. Now, it hurts my heart greatly when you continue to tell me how much you hate me, but I am always going to love you." I leave the room after telling him he can come out and play again.

About 10 minutes later, George runs into the kitchen and gives me a huge bear hug and says, "I am never going to say I hate you again."

I wish I could say that I believe him. I believe in that moment he thinks he will never say that again, but the reality is that we have a long, long way to go. We'll get there...only on our knees and in prayer. But, we'll get there.

No comments: