Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A Little Gift

It snowed a bit over night. It was very cold this morning. And 6am comes around far too early for most of the Weldie clan. I can honestly say that Joe is the only one in our family who has the ability to jump out of bed, ready the minute his feet hit the floor. The rest of us...well...we tend to be a bit more lazy. It is hard to get out of bed. It is hard to leave the warmth and comfort of blankets when it is so cold.

But...we all eventually do it.

And we meet at the kitchen table.

The coffee is brewing and sleepy kids are silently walking around finding their Bibles and then sitting in their designated place. (Why is it that we sit in the same spot and feel so uncomfortable in another seat?)

We decided a while ago to read Genesis and Exodus. The kids needed a good history lesson. We finished Exodus yesterday and still hadn't decided where we would go next. Joe made the decision as we all sat at the table. "Acts. We are going to read Acts."

So, we all turned to Acts and read the first chapter together. Then, as always, we read our Proverbs chapter of the day.

Then, we prayed. And here is where the little gift came.

Harry prayed, "Lord, you know I didn't want to get out of bed. I wanted to just stay in my room and read my new book on the planets. I came down in a bad mood. But, Lord, I am so grateful I came down here and read Your Word with my family."

Eleanor picked up where Harry left off, "Lord, I feel the same way. I don't want to get out of bed at all! But, I am so glad I did. And thank you for your word in Proverbs, reminding me to stay on the straight path at school. I need those words every morning before going to school."

Little gifts from my kids' mouths and hearts. There are times that I wonder if how we are raising our kids is going to make any difference in their lives? I wonder if they are going to have a solid faith because of this, or if they are going to completely rebel against our family times of reading the Bible? I just can't have those answers now..that part is called FAITH.

Joe and I long to know that our children won't make the same mistakes we did growing up. But, I know some of them are going to, if not all of them. Today, God used Harry and Eleanor to let me know that what we are doing IS making an impact on their lives.

Isabel, on the other hand, used the entire morning to worry about what she was going to wear and if her new boots were going to get snow on them. Sigh.

2 comments:

Shelly said...

Wow! Gifts like that are the greatest gifts a momma could ever receive from her children! Melkam Gena!!!!

Bear Creek Mama said...

What wonderful words to hear!
He is so sweet to give the tiny affirmations which reap into great encouragements. Bless you!