Thursday, December 30, 2010

I Am Taking The Challenge


I am taking the challenge.

George is from a hard place. This means that many times, we struggle. He struggles to trust me. I struggle to love him.

I have heard about a rocking theory. The idea is to take your child back to a infancy, where babies are rocked and cuddled. So much love and nurturing is poured into their lives during those moments. I don't think George ever got that.

So, I have been challenged to rock my child from a hard place for 15 minutes every day.

I read the challenge and laughed. I knew about this idea before we brought George home. As we settled into our home in Ethiopia, I noticed a rocking chair and I was so excited to rock my child from a hard place. We brought George to our home and that evening I tried to pull him onto my lap to join me for some rocking time. He screamed and spit on me. He squirmed and fought until he finally got loose and ran to another chair, content to sit alone. I tried a few more times, same scenario.

By the time we got home to America, I was exhausted and thought I would never bond with my child from a hard place. I gave up on the rocking theory. Defeated.

So, read the challenge and laughed. "Yeah, right!" I thought. It's too late for us.

Two days ago, I rearranged some furniture and put our rocking chair in the "den" near the computer. Joe sat down to look up a guitar (he really, really wants to start rocking again!) and I plopped down in the rocking chair. Guess who walked over?

George.

"Can I sit on your lap?"

Of course!

Georgie climbed into my lap and then took my arms and wrapped them around his skinny little waist. And we rocked.

For a little more than 15 minutes.

This morning, George asked, "Can we sit in this chair again tonight, Momma?"

You can read more about the challenge here.

1 comment:

ESolgos said...

Wow! Sometimes it takes awhile before we can see that change happen. That is HUGE!