Wednesday, December 1, 2010

I Am Begging You!


A friend reminded me of a much over-looked part of the "Proverbs 31 Woman". You know who I am talking about...that "perfect woman" who makes her kids' clothes, stocks the pantry, rises before dark to prepare food...that woman who most of us cringe about thinking there is NO WAY we can ever become THAT woman.

Comments on that another day. For today, I want to point out there are nine verses in Proverbs 31 that often get skipped, or ignored. And I have no idea why - because THOSE verses have become incredibly important to me. They are the words of a mother teaching her son. Part of that teaching are the words of what to look for in a wife (thus the Proverbs 31 Woman), but the first nine verses instruct this son on avoiding two major temptations (sexual promiscuity and drunkeness). Then, this mother points out what he SHOULD be doing...

"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and the needy." (v. 8 - 9)
I have scribbled some notes in my Bible - maybe some past sermon about these verses, but next to the words "speak up for", I have written "Plead! Beg! Defend!" These words have such emotion. Speaking up for those who cannot speak for themselves is more than a casual mention at a dinner party, or nodding in agreement when a pastor talks about serving the poor. Plead! Beg! They have no voice...and they need someone to defend them! Immediately, I think of all the orphans in the world. Who is speaking up for them? Who is BEGGING more people to adopt? Who is pleading with Christians to start doing something? Orphans have no voice.

I have asked this before and I will ask again...will you commit to praying for 5 orphans today? How about praying for these 5 orphans every day in December? Is that too much to ask for?

Go to one of these websites as a family...tonight...and chose 5 orphans you will pray for. Please! I beg you! I am pleading with you!

http://reecesrainbow.org/sponsorship/angeltree2010/angeltreesponsorpage
http://photolisting.adoption.com/foster-adoption/search-results/
http://www.rainbowkids.com/WC/

1 comment:

Amy said...

This is ABSOLUTELY AWESOME. Thank you so much for doing this. Bringing my family over tonight. Thanks for this reminder.