Sunday, November 21, 2010

What a Weekend!

Safe Families had hit a wall.

But, God showed me that He is much bigger and mightier than any government wall!

First, I studied the statutes that were given to me as "the wall". I read them. I re-read them. I still didn't see it. So, I asked a few people - people who should know, "Where is the wall?" They answered quite embarrassed, "Um...I...don't...quite....know....how....to...answer...that."

Excuse me? Are we putting this entire mission on hold because of some body quoting numbers at us? Do we just take those numbers as magic numbers that mean we can't move forward?

Then, I got the phone call.

Saturday morning. "I am a mom and I need help."

Joe and I hopped in the car, "We'll be right there!"

We walked into a world that I don't see often. I don't live this way. My friends don't live that way. My family doesn't live that way. But this family lives this way in order to SURVIVE. Generations of women living under one roof trying to survive the best they can. They are jobless. They are close to being homeless. Children everywhere...a little dirty and unkempt, but all with beautiful smiles. One little boy walked right up to me, shook my hand and said, "Nice to meet you." Charming.

The mom is homeless. Her children are living in this home with her sister and all her kids. Grandma is over with some of her 12 children. No man to be found anywhere. Mom is scared, depressed, lonely and loves her children desperately.

We filled out the paperwork for one of her sons to go to a safe family for a few weeks. When it came time to say goodbye, she burst into sobs. Oh, the love this momma has for her son!

We walked to the car...then suddenly mom and sister call me back inside. "Can you take my other son as well? Can you find a safe home for him?"

Of course I will.

Mom cries again. I hug her tell her that she is so brave and I can see how much she loves her boys. She just needs help. I tell her that I want to know what she needs to get back on her feet. She nods. She's still crying.

Joe and I spend the rest of the afternoon taking these precious boys to their safe family. Two families said "yes" without hesitation. This week is Thanksgiving - no problem! These boys have nothing - no problem! Joe and I prayed for these families - all three!

Mom has talked to her boys. She is relieved, encouraged...and motivated! She called me tonight and said she spent the whole afternoon and evening yesterday cleaning an apartment she found. She was happy that she has talked to her boys and that both safe family mom's are kind and not judging her. Then she said, "You know how you said you would help me get on my feet? Well, I need some help." The courage it took for her to reach out to me and ask for help humbles me.

The pastor at her church has let her move into a duplex the church owns. She still needs to pay rent and she needs to get it ready on her own. Apparently, it's a mess. Carpet and paint have been purchased, but she has to install and paint it herself. She needs help.

Joe looks at me and says, "I'll put together a team."

Then, there is some silence on the phone.

"I can't even begin to put into words how thankful I am for you guys. What you are doing for me...well...I will never forget. But, I have one more thing to ask. Can you help me find a way to get some help for Christmas presents?"

Now, I am crying.

"Of course."

Oh, there is so much more to tell, but I am praising God tonight for how he brought me back to the beautiful part of Safe Families! A mom who cried out for help. A body of believers who said yes without hesitating. A relationship built on trust is developing. And lives will be changed forever.

This is not a political battle! I am sad that it has become that in Wisconsin...because this weekend, I had the pure joy of working with "real deal" Christ followers. Now, I will be looking for a few more..and a few more...and a few more.

And I know that my God is much stronger than the state of Wisconsin!

2 comments:

Bear Creek Mama said...

Don't really know what else to say except to thank you for sharing your stories. To say that they are inspiring sounds so cliche but I can't think of another way to say what I mean - I am inspired by your faith, by your total willingness to say yes without hesitation, by your lack of judgment, by your radical life. Thank you. I'm not just saying that either. I will be moved. It's only a matter of time - His time.

dan and denise said...

praise the lord!!