Friday, November 5, 2010

Trust

I dedicated the month of November to "getting the word out" to Milwaukee (in particular). Safe Families is here - ready to help. Hip-hip-hooray!

Right?

Not quite.

As I drive into Milwaukee day after day and sit in messy, often run-down offices, I get a blank stare.

You want to do what? How can you do this? We've never heard anything like this before.

I look back and smile. I use all the statistics from other cities. I cite how Safe Families is winning national awards.

The frown I get in return is hard to look at.

So what?

Where has the church been for the past 50 years? Why does the white suburban church not cross Highway 100? Do you really think we can trust you now? And with our children!

Um...all I can say is that I am sorry...on behalf of the suburban church in Milwaukee. And yes, we ran away. And yes, we have turned a deaf ear to the cries of the poor. And yes, our conservative, Republican upbringing says you got yourself into this mess, now get yourself out. But...I have heard God place a call on my life to come to you and humbly ask that you trust us despite the fact that we have done nothing to earn your trust.

The phone has grown silent.

My host families grow impatient and discouraged.

And I have no where else to turn other than God.

This morning, God led me to His words: "The Lord said to him, "Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the Lord? Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say." (Exodus 4:11-12)

Now go. Just go.

Oh, will you pray for me? Will you pray for Milwaukee? Will you pray for Safe Families in Milwaukee? God has called me to go. I am terrified.

1 comment:

Mama New said...

Thank you for sharing your story Tracie! I love how God is working in your life! He has shown you your compassionate side. Blessings to you and your ministry.