Saturday, October 2, 2010

Saying Yes


I am going to go back to a question I posed earlier this week...are ALL of God's chosen asked to live a radical life of surrender? Does God ask all...or does he only ask some of His children to do this?

If I start to think that He only asks some of us to "sell everything we have" and "love your enemy" and "do to the least of these...", I might become jaded. Why would He ask only some of us to live this way and not the others? Why does He want us to learn what it is like to live with little, while I sit next to a Christian in church who drives a Lexus, lives in a 4000 square foot house, and never wears the same outfit twice to church? Am I wrong to look at that woman and wonder why she is allowed to live a life of comfort while God asked me to sacrifice almost everything?

We thought our TV finally bit the dust this week. We didn't even bat an eye...we said, "Well, it looks like we are one less TV in the house." There was no talk of getting a new one, or upgrading. There were no worries, no tears, no fretting. One less THING in our life is a good thing! I can't even begin to tell you the freedom we feel in this life we are leading...the world has nothing we desire.

Joe and I often talk about what we might be like if suddenly the business really took off, would we really chose to live like this? Or would we fall right back into who we were in California days? Would we have to have the latest and the greatest newest whatever? We have to be honest and say we just don't know. I am afraid of my sinful nature that enjoys new shiny things...I want to slay that nature, and I think this period we are in is working on that, but I just don't know if that work is done yet.

We prayed a few years ago these verses: "Two things I ask of you, O Lord; do not refuse me before I die: Keep falsehood and lies far from me: give me neither poverty nor riches, but give m only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, "Who is the Lord? Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God." Proverbs 30 7:9

When my husband led me to these verses and asked me to pray this with him, I really wanted to check to see if he was mentally stable! What? Are you kidding me? You really want me to ASK God to keep me from riches?

God has answered that prayer.

And I know He is using this time to purify our hearts...to sanctify us...to challenge us...to teach us how to trust HIM.

Sometimes I moan and groan about how hard it is...and some people wonder, "Why doesn't Traci get a job??" That moaning and groaning is just a selfish child throwing a little temper tantrum. When I start to really reflect on our lives over the past year, I am amazed at how God has taken care of us! There has not been one day that we have been hungry! We have been incredibly healthy! The kids always have something clean to wear each and every day! Our cars are still running! We have no debt! We truly have been living a blessed life this year!

And God has done something amazing in our lives! He has asked us to partner with Him in a missional life, to bring an amazing ministry to Milwaukee! What joy! And, in the midst of saying "yes", He has provided an extra income for us! Praise God! How blessed we are to be doing His work and earn a little income in order to keep keeping on.

So, I think back to the woman driving the Lexus and wondering if God has asked her to live a sacrificial life. And God answers my thought loudly and clearly...

"What is that to you?"

God keeps bringing me to one particular passage. Jesus has just reinstated Peter, asking him "Do you love me?" three times, giving Peter the chance to boldly proclaim his love for Jesus after denying him a few days earlier (what a gracious Lord!). However, Jesus then tells Peter about how he is going to die for the sake of Jesus. But then, Peter being Peter - which is so much like Traci being Traci says this: "Peter turned and saw the disciple whom Jesus loved was following them. When Peter saw him, he asked, "Lord, what about him?" Jesus answered, ".....What is that to you? You must follow me!" John 21:20-22

Yup, that is me. When God has laid out a plan for my life that includes a small amount (and I truly mean small in the grand picture) of sacrifice, I turn and look at the Lexus driving suburban woman and cry out, "What about HER?" And God answers, "What I want to do with her is MY business! What is that to you?"

YOU MUST FOLLOW ME!

And so...I am saying yes.

2 comments:

Rbarrow said...

Amen sister! Loving this post! I am right there with you!

Bear Creek Mama said...

a VERY sincere Thank You....