Tuesday, June 29, 2010

What God is Doing In Our Lives


Have you heard of Safe Families? I can't remember when I first heard about it, but I know something in my heart stirred. Safe Families calls itself the Christian alternative to foster care. Ever since Orphan Sunday last November, especially Joe's heart has been toward foster care. And when we saw something about a Christian alternative, we investigated.


But I stopped cold in my tracks. This is NOT what I want to do! Why? Because the goal is to reunite the child with the birth parent. And the safe family who is caring for the child mentors and loves the birth mom/dad in the process. I don't want THAT! I want to adopt a child and have a child who calls me Momma - not Miss Traci. Why would I invest blood, sweat and tears into a child whom I would then kiss on the cheek and say goodbye to? No way, not going to happen!


And then, God called me out to the mat and we began to wrestle.


And I think God dislocated my hip. I have a very, very sore hip and I have trouble even walking without a limp these days.


God pointed out my selfishness...again!


God pointed out what He would do...again!


God asked me to trust Him...again!


So, after running from Safe Families for about 6 months, I finally relented and said, "OK...I'll start the training."


It blew me away!


Then, Joe and I felt it would be wise to meet with a few men we respect, trust and admire and ask them their thoughts. They blew us away! God used these two very different men to each speak directly into our hearts! These men did not know what they were saying...they had no idea what our private conversations were centered on. Yet, each one spoke directly into a secret word or phrase. And we left both meetings knowing God is asking us, yet again, to stretch our faith.


What makes this even harder is that unlike the foster care system, we won't get a monthly check to care for a child. We are already living at the poverty level with very little hope of climbing out of this. We are coming to grips that we may always live this way. Yet, God is clearly saying, "I want YOU to do THIS and TRUST ME."


I have so much to say, so much I have been afraid to start writing about because suddenly it becomes very real. And if we change our minds, there will now be people who will ask, "What ever happened with that Safe Families thing?" Well, now it's out there.


We are assembling a prayer team. The pastor we met with called us missionaries, he then said, "You are like John the Baptist". I can't even put words to how unworthy we feel about being called that! The world is going to look at us and say we are crazy. And I don't know how to respond to the world yet...other than to say that Christ compelled us to do this.


So, if you see us with a few extra kids in the coming months, you'll know why. And I am going to need all the prayers, help and resources I can get because I know I can't do this on my own.


Hang on...the road is about to get bumpy.

2 comments:

Alicia-Marie Christensen said...

Praise God for your family's obedience! We will be prayer warriors for you and are excited to see what God does in your lives.

Bear Creek Mama said...

Wheee! Wow! You go girl! I love the story of how you wrestled with God - you'd think we'd learn that HE always wins!
You will surely be blessed as you follow His steps in obedience!
Blessings!
Leslee