Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Silence is Deafening

I left the Christian Alliance for Orphan Summit encouraged, inspired and ready to be an advocate for the fatherless. I told everyone who asked me about the heart-wrenching stories I heard. I challenged people to be able to name five orphans. I sent an email to my pastors sharing all I learned about what other churches around the country are doing.

But now, the silence is deafening.

Why isn't the church making orphan care and adoption advocacy a priority? I don't just mean my church...I mean "the church". Can somebody please tell me why pastors don't want to talk about this?

Can someone show me in God's word where God tells us "Don't worry about the fatherless. Let the orphan care for himself." Or, "Make sure your children's ministry has a wii homerun derby, your middle schoolers have a ball, your women have fancy cloud cut-outs to adorn the stage each morning, your congregation has entertaining power-points during the sermon." Where is THAT is God's word?

Forgive my ranting, I am very frustrated today. After adopting, after visiting an orphanage in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, I am forever changed. As I walked through the streets of Africa, no longer did cloud cut-outs matter to me. When I heard the cries of babies lying in cribs for hours, power points suddenly lost their appeal.

But, what I don't understand is why isn't the church doing something about this? A friend of mine just wrote and said, "It is like God is standing there with a red flag waving frantically...over here! Over here! And yet, the church doesn't see Him." I agree. But can someone tell me why the church isn't looking?

I will say it again because I hear it running through my mind each and every day...we must move away from a religion of self-development and into a life of self-sacrifice. Please, if you have an answer, let me know.

3 comments:

A.Lindahl said...

Feels good just knowing that there is someone out there struggeling like I am....
Have been feeling so much of the the same thing lately! I try and excuse it a little by saying we are all called to different things and different ways but to me I don't see it fitting into scripture to well. A bigger question I have been struggeling with too.. is WHAT AM I SUPPOSE TO DO ABOUT IT NOW??? I have been praying that God reveals this to me.. "I am here Lord, USE ME!" For now I am waiting until he reveals exactly what I am to do! I am so not the best at WAITING!!!

A.Lindahl said...

Feels good just knowing that there is someone out there struggeling like I am....
Have been feeling so much of the the same thing lately! I try and excuse it a little by saying we are all called to different things and different ways but to me I don't see it fitting into scripture to well. A bigger question I have been struggeling with too.. is WHAT AM I SUPPOSE TO DO ABOUT IT NOW??? I have been praying that God reveals this to me.. "I am here Lord, USE ME!" For now I am waiting until he reveals exactly what I am to do! I am so not the best at WAITING!!!

ESolgos said...

I am praying that one of pastor's children will adopt! I think part of the problem is that many families can't even visualize themselves adopting. They think that is reserved for the super-spiritual. Guess what? Adopting improves your spiritual life. Don't wait until you have it figured out, take the leap of faith and see what God does, not only for an orphan, but for you.