Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A Ransom

I have always struggled with the expense of adoption. I can't tell you how many people would say to us, "You are paying HOW much?" or my personal favorite, "Shouldn't the country pay YOU to take their orphan?"

There does seem to be some injustice in the huge cost involved in adopting an orphan, especially from a different country. As we wrote out each check, we would have to swallow back anger as each one went to a different pot; one to the US government, several to our agency, some to a local agency, and then a few to the Ethiopian government. We did it because we loved our son and wanted him home, but I still failed to reconcile that anger with the huge cost.

Until I led an adoption class this past Saturday. I decided to try a different curriculum..actually, I have yet to find one that I completely love, so I was piecing together two different sets of materials from adoption curriculums. There was one part from this new curriculum that I just knew I had to include...and it had to do with the cost.

The chapter begins with this verse: "Just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." Matthew 20:28. This verse is followed by a fill in the blank: Adoption requires a ____________ be paid, not a ___________. So, I filled in the blanks with suddenly clarity, adoption requires a ransom be paid, not a price.

A ransom. A ransom I am paying to free a captive. For George was a captive of poverty, neglect, abandonment, hopelessness. I needed to simply pay that ransom to set him free.

The old testament is filled with examples of God-followers being called to pay a ransom, to set captives free. Jesus did it to, providing us with the ultimate example. I Peter 1:18 says, "For you know that God paid a ransom to save you from the empty life you inherited from your ancestors. And the ransom he paid was not mere gold and silver." Jesus paid the ransom for our lives, why do I expect to do less than that for another life?

As I taught the class, I went over this concept when I noticed a gentlemen in the class suddenly nod his head and tear up. It was as if God was using those words to speak directly to this man's heart. Later he approached me and said, "I have been dragging my feet because of the injustice of all the costs. God just kicked me in the butt and said 'pay the ransom'." I replied, "I know...I needed to hear that message, too."

Just as we could not escape our sin on our own, and we needed a savior to ransom us, George could not escape his captivity. A ransom needed to be paid for his freedom.

Another part of the ransom....God will provide. God provided the spotless lamb. God provided for us in unexpected ways. God will provide the ransom.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Traci, this insight is brilliant... it makes perfect sense!

andreawilliams said...

great post!! just cam across your blog. cant wait to read everything. ;)