Monday, April 12, 2010

Gotta Love Arthur

I was cuddled on the couch the other day with Lincoln...it was a little rainy outside, I was waiting on a load of clothes on the dryer to finish, and it was about 15 minutes before the rest of the kids were due to come home. Lincoln was watching Arthur, you know, that PBS aardvark. I have always loved Arthur, it has been one of those kid shows that as an adult I could more than tolerate, I actually enjoy! Don't tell anyone, but I have been known to watch an entire episode of Arthur when NO kids were home!

So, this episode was about baby Kate and Pal. Kate was growing up and she was losing her ability to understand "DOG". While once, Kate and Pal could talk to each other, as Kate was now growing up, she was struggling to understand her dog's language. At one point in the show, there was an instance of Grandma talking to Pal, illustrating what a dog hears when humans talk to them. It went something like this:

"Pal gooble calou frumpis tralag ball setiong frestigh good yupin boinbub dog."

Suddenly I got it. Well, actually, I made the connection a few days later during George's soccer game. This is what George has had to deal with for the past 11 months. Understanding intermittent words here and there. Being in a world where everyone is speaking a language that he simply can not understand yet. So as I watched George play a game he had never played, thrown on a field with boys he hardly knows, and hearing a crowd of parents and coaches screaming out commands, I got it.

How frustrating and hard life has been for George this year. Yes, he has a family, a clean bed, an abundance of food...but at what cost? He has been thrown into new situations each and every day for the past year, forced to either conform or be left out, learn a new language and be expected to progress at an unreasonably fast rate. Wow.

No wonder he still has nightmares. No wonder we still talk about the same things over and over with him. No wonder he doesn't understand us. No wonder he says the wrong thing at the wrong time again and again.

Arthur gave me a reminder of all that George has been, and continues to go through. And I see just how far we have all come in this year.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

The simplicity of cartoons can bring life such clarity!