Saturday, February 27, 2010

Re-Make Me

We have had a good week with George :)

Joe and I, on the other hand, are being re-made.

We find ourselves in this very interesting place of knowing God is working in our lives, but none of it is comfortable or sweet or nice. But it is good.

For the first time in my life, I am looking at people with a new, re-made heart. I love so much more than I ever did before. I now have empathy for people I never had any time for before. I now look at people instead of color or clothing or cars they drive. I long for a diverse culture that is worshiping the Lord as one - the all white chorus I am used to has grown boring and stale.

Joe is learning that his job is not who he is. He is learning that the world respects big watches and even bigger cars as soft, chubby CEOs go out to steak dinners, but God wants something different for him (OK, not all CEOs are not soft and chubby - sorry for that). Joe is learning that money is not the greatest thing he brings to his family. Joe is now seeing injustice in this world and longs for Christ to come and "wipe the slate clean".

I never thought adopting a child from Africa would bring about so many changes. I don't necessarily think one has anything to do with the other. But what happened was Joe and I stepped out in obedience...really stepped out....for the first time in our lives. And that opened the door for God to re-make us.

We keep saying we will look back on these days as some of the best of our lives. I am sure of that...because in this time, God was hard at work in our lives, molding us into something He can use.

No comments: