Tuesday, November 10, 2009

HAIR!!!!!!


God knew what he was doing when he put a boy on our hearts....I am struggling with this whole hair thing!!

At Harvest Fest this week, our table was across the isle from Minister Richard from The Captive Project. Joe and I have been in a prayer relationship with him for a while, but had never met face to face. We were so excited to meet him and talk with him and introduce our family to him.

After a few minutes of greetings, he said, "I need to talk to you about George's hair."

Uggghhhh! Really? What's wrong with it?

"His peers, you know, African American peers, are going to make fun of it."

You've got to be kidding me!

But then we were interrupted and we never were able to finish that conversation! I am left with so many questions like what am I doing wrong? What do I need to do?

I have read blogs, I have read adoption board postings, I have seen pictures... but I guess I just don't get it!

So...reluctantly, I have turned to YouTube videos - sigh.

We have all agreed to let George's hair grow out - either to locs or to just a little longer. He doesn't want his head shaved. (THAT would be the easy thing to do! And while I am on that subject, why is it that none of my boys like their hair cut short? They all want to be shaggy and messy.) I have learned that in order for George's hair to grow, it needs to be combed out every night and moisturized. The key is to not let the curls get tight, which apparently leads to breakage. There are also rules about how often we can wash his hair and what types of shampoo to use. Who knew an Ethiopian boy's hair would be higher maintenance than an almost 13 year old girl?

Joe often laughs and says, "What do they do in Ethiopia? They don't have access to lotions and moisturizes?" Well, a friend of mine who is a missionary in Ethiopia just sent me a picture from the southern regions, where George is from, and the men there put massive amounts of wet clay in their hair...hmmmmm.

So, last night we started our new regiment. I pick out George's hair. Then I part a section of hair and apply moisturizer directly onto his scalp. I do this about 85 times around his entire head. Then..off to bed he goes.

Already, I am wondering if I have what it takes to do this every night. If we can get his hair to 3 inches, we are going to take him to a salon on North Avenue in Tosa to have his hair locked. It will take a few hours, but I need a professional to do it...obviously.

Or....next time you see him, he may have a shaved head :)

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Oh! I can only imagine what they would say about my poor baby's hair! I don't know what I'm doing either. But his curls are just too cute to shave off...