Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Being Thankful

As my kids get older and we can have meaningful conversations, I am so thankful that I am a momma. Over the past month, I have had the pleasure of just being alone with all five of my kids at different times.

Eleanor - Eleanor and I have had a few amazing conversations lately, mainly due to her life now in school. Everyday she is bombarded with kids who use foul language, who tell each other to "shut-up" and peers who are disrespectful to their teachers. She is struggling with finding that one good friend and will often say her teachers are her closest friends at school. While this could make me sad, she is confident in herself and has told me that her plan at school is to be nice and friendly to everyone. While this keeps her from making that one true friend, it does give her multitudes of people to hang with or talk to. She has made a goal of sitting with a different group of kids each day at lunch. And she does! One day she sits with the jocks, the next day a group of friends from show-choir, followed by a lunch with the first girls who invited her to eat with them. I think this is a healthy way to get through middle school. The one thing she just can't wrap her brain around is all the kids who "hate" their parents. She has come home completely upset that all the girls will talk about is how "stupid" and "dumb" their moms are. Eleanor and I have a tight relationship and while we are NOT friends, we are mother and daughter who talk about almost everything. And boy, that girl can make me laugh! She has a very sharp sense of humor and I have enjoyed lately seeing this girl blossom into someone who can talk with me and turn around and have me crying because she said something so funny! Watching her grow up is so cool!

Harry - Harry just preached his first sermon! While Joe and I were in Chicago, Toby gave Harry the assignment of preaching at their home-church. And apparently, Harry embraced it - he had three points with scripture for each point to back him up. Toby said I would have sobbed. In the past month Harry has not only preached a sermon, he has decided to go to the Dominican Republic on a missions trip. And, he is now the first to read his Bible each morning, always asking questions or making observations. This boy's soul was battled over for years, and I know we are not done protecting him through prayer, but I can't wait to see how God uses this special boy.

Isabel continues to be our joy-giver, no matter what is thrown at her, she just smiles her way through it. I can't even begin to tell you how thankful I am to have her personality in my home! She giggles, she squeals, she laughs and she always wants a cuddle. Even when she is being disciplined, she smiles at us - absolutely amazing. God knew what he was doing when he gave us Isabel, for we all need a dose of pure joy every day, don't we?

George has simply become my son. It is as simple and as profound as that. The line between home made and hand picked is getting smaller and smaller and I now delight in hearing him talk to his siblings and finish the conversation with, "OK, my sister" or "goodnight, my brother."

Lincoln and I have grown closer this year, due to the decision to put the kids in school. And he is downright funny! He laughs at the silliest things and he has discovered the fun of being the clown of the family. Is is a lot of fun teaching him letters and numbers now, and I am anxious for another year of quiet afternoons to read and learn.

Our day to day life is pretty hard....but it pales in comparison to the joy that comes from being a mom to these precious five. Thank you, Lord, for all your blessings on this eve of Thanksgiving. May I never forget to look at these five wonders as creations of Yours who are fearfully and wonderfully made. And may I never forget how much love I feel for them at this moment. And I pray that love continues to grow exponentially each and every year that I am blessed to have them in my home. Amen.

No comments: