Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Oh, How He Loves Us

Last night, we were driving home after doing a family service project in the central city of Milwaukee. The sun had set and the car was dark and relatively quiet. A new song came on the radio, one that my family has loved since before the radio started playing it.

The song builds and builds until a soaring chorus sings, "He loves us, oh, how he loves us! Oh, how he loves us! Oh, how he loves us!"

I was suddenly aware of all five of my children singing this part of the song with such passion and intensity. All of them...singing out about how much God loves them.

I couldn't hold back the tears. Isn't this what parenting is all about? Leading our children to the point where they can sing out in a car about how much their Father in heaven loves them?

Thank you, Lord, for being a God who is jealous for our affections and attention. Thank you, Lord, for moments of pure worship. Thank you, Lord, for blessing me with a full quiver. Thank you, Lord, for that minute in the car that gave us the chance to meditate on how much you really do love us.

1 comment:

annelise said...

I was at a retreat just last week and began to realize the same experience for myself. Since that day i have changed COMPLETELY! I was singing and began to feel tears running down my face as I realized... well He loves me... He love you... He loves US!!!