Thursday, June 25, 2009

Tears and a boy named H

Oh my...it is with a broken heart that I share this short post. My son, George, is so concerned about his friend, H, back in the Soddo orphanage. After a full day of swimming and playing, we came in to settle down with a short video. George had no interest in the video and instead was insisting that I pull up the picture of H, who is one of the waiting older children.

George sat for about 20 minutes in front of the computer, not saying a word. Then, he quietly said, "Good night, H", and turned off the computer. Then he sat on the couch and said, "H need bike," which I replied, "We maybe can send a gift to H, but I don't think we can send your bike half way around the world."

George burst into sobs! He shouted, "Georgie, no bike. H need bike!" over and over again.

I grabbed George and pulled him onto my lap and held him as he cried. This poor little boy has begun to mourn.

And...what a sensitive heart he has underneath all the anger and defiance. If only you knew how much this little boy loves his bike! It is the first thing he asks about in the morning, it is the last thing he plays with before coming in for bed. When we were camping, he wanted to know most where his bike was. This bike is his absolute favorite material possession. And he wants to give that up and send it to his friend who probably has very little, if anything that is his own.

Oh my dear boy. How I want to take away all your pain, and I know this is just the beginning of your mourning. You have lost your family. You have had to leave your friend. You no longer recognize sights, smells our sounds. I am sorry. But, I want you to know how much I love you and how excited I am to see you grow in this country! I can't wait to see what God has planned for your life! Something that will use your sensitivity, your generosity and your stubbornness - ha! I love you, George and thank you, for letting me love you tonight.

1 comment:

MzzLily said...

My heart breaks for George, H and all the other children that have such desparate needs. I will say a special prayer for George tonight.

It sounds like God is growing your heart for George. Not long ago you asked how you were supposed to love him... and now you do.