Tuesday, May 5, 2009

My Utmost for His Highest

The Spirit was leading me to open up Oswald Chambers again. I often go months upon months of meditating on the words this man wrote in his great book My Utmost for His Highest. And then, I tend to put it away for a few months as the material gets so weighty, I need time to digest.

So, I picked it up today and this is how Chambers concludes May 5th: "If Jesus ever commanded us to do something that He was unable to equip us to accomplish, He would be a liar. And if we make our own inability a stumbling block or an excuse not to be obedient, it means that we are telling God that there is something which He has not yet taken into account. Every element of our own self-reliance must be put to death by the power of God. The moment we recognize our complete weakness and our dependence upon Him will be the very moments that the Spirit of God will exhibit His power."

This speaks so much to my heart right now. I can not doubt that God is, in this very moment, equipping me to love and nurture a little boy who has very little feeling for me. I can not doubt that God is teaching me in this moment what it means to crucify my self-reliance (again!) and admit how utterly weak and helpless I am. I can not doubt that He is strengthening me!

I am thankful for these little bits of encouragement!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And I do not doubt that that little boy needs you in a special way right now!! He will equip you and strengthen you!!

By the way, has he been to the Ethiopian restaurant yet??

Praying,
Conni