Friday, April 10, 2009

Attack From The Enemy

I remember being chilled to the bone the first time I read Job. In the first chapter, God asks Satan, "Where have you come from?" And Satan replies, "From roaming through the earth and going back and forth in it." I Peter 5:8 says, "...your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour."

Christians can sometimes fall into a dangerous sense of comfort when we don't realize this about our enemy; he is roaming, pacing, hunting around the earth. The Bible is so clear about arming ourselves and outlines the armor of God. We take a risk when we don't arm ourselves each and every day. This is serious business.

But, sometimes, the enemy gets even more aggressive. I read many times on an adoption board about all the illnesses, problems, deaths, and countless other things that happen to families right before picking up the adopted child. I have also hear similar stories about families leaving for mission trips. We get distracted, we start to worry, we lose sight of what we are doing - we take our eyes of God. This happens naturally, it is in our make-up to want to worry about things or try to take control.

To my surprise (which I am disappointed that I was found surprised!), the enemy is attacking us. Lincoln fell at church, a totally freak accident for a boy who is extremely active and falls, crashes, jumps, wrestles, and flies around the house every day. He was simply throwing a ball with another little boy when something happened (trip? stumble? fall?) and he ended up hitting his clavicle just-so on a plastic bin of books. And snap. The nursery workers didn't see what happened, but when I came to pick him up, Lincoln was on a kind woman's lap, obviously crying and in pain, with an ice pack on his back. Being a mom of 4, and Lincoln being the youngest, I just assumed he fell and was a little sore, but would be just fine. I didn't see any marks, any bruising - nothing to indicate a broken bone. My "mommy-radar" went off later that day when Joe threw the first pitch to him outside and after attempting one swing, he fell to the ground in pain. For this baseball-loving boy to be in so much pain that he couldn't even swing a bat, I KNEW something was wrong. After a pain-filled night, I took him in for an X-ray. The nurse who collected the films and put them in the viewer called me in immediately and said, "You don't need to be a doctor to see this one!" Sure enough, a huge break! The doctor came in and said, "I have seen a few worse."

We get home from the doctors and I notice Eleanor getting very pale. By dinner, she was pushing away her plate and saying she was so cold. Within an hour, she had a temperature of 102 and was lying in her bed feeling horrible.

Then, the icing on the cake (so to speak) came when we found out that a couple (lovely, church-going couple who wanted to grow a family) who just loved our home, decided not to put an offer on the house because her mother convinced her that our neighborhood was "too scary". Don't even get me started on Christians who are afraid of the scary black people that live close by!!! That may be an intense blog for another day.

At the end of the day an email comes in for the nannies at the foster home in Addis where George has just been moved. "George is very sad and depressed. He is not playing with the other children. He is not talking." My heart broke.

All this..and more to be shared maybe at a later date. Just trust me, the last 24 hours have been very hard in the Weldie household. And this came just on the heels of pure joy and excitement and thanksgiving!

So, after tucking the healthy two into bed, encouraging Eleanor to finish the last of her tea, settling Lincoln into a comfortable position in his bed, I sat on the floor of Lincoln's bedroom and did the only thing I knew to do; open The Word.

"He tends his flock like a shepherd;
He gathers the lambs in his arms
and carries them close to his heart;
He gently leads those that have young." Isaiah 40:11

"For I am the Lord, your God,
who takes hold of your right hand
and says to you, Do not fear;
I will help you." Isaiah 41:13

Words that came straight from the Father's heart and ministered to me more than any self-help book, or web site about the health of my children, or conversation with a girl friend. God promised me as I sat there, that He carries me close to his heart and that He is leading me and my young. He is gathering us in, keeping us held together within his strong and protective arms. And, His word says He will help me. Sometimes that is all I am ever looking for; a little help. I am told not to fear, not to be afraid or discouraged or worrisome. I needed to remember who God is!

While I am aware of the enemy and his tactics, I worship The One who defeated him 2000 years ago when Jesus rose from the dead! Because of who God is, I am safe and secure in His arms and I know He will help me. We will get through this week, even with illnesses and broken bones. We will get home with George, even if we suffer from any number of things while in Africa. We will be a family who worships God every day and remembers that He is our shepherd who loves us.

No comments: